Corn & Tomato Salsa :: A few weeks ago I was thinking about how to clean up my diet, looking to cut out oil and processed foods specifically.
I love a “bowl.”
You know, when you put some greens in a bowl then top it with starches, non-starches, beans/legumes and a dressing. Well, I’ve been thinking about how to put together toppings that can be ready in the refrigerator to add a lot of flavor. This is also incredibly convenient for days where you just do not have the time.
One of my favorite “bowls” is a Chipotle Bowl. Problem is, Chipotle uses a lot of oil in all of their toppings. Now, this recipe is not supposed to be a Chipotle Roasted Chili-Corn Salsa replica but it does a good job as an Oil–Free Whole Food Plant Based replacement!
What ingredients will you need?
Corn. In this recipe, I use frozen kernels. I like white corn but either white, yellow, a mix or even roasted are good. Obviously fresh is best but canned or like I’ve used, frozen defrosted works well.
Cherry Tomatoes. I always seem to buy way more cherry tomatoes than I need which is how this recipe ended up with them. You can use any tomato, really. Choose your favorite. It’s the amount diced that matters most.
Jalapeno. Use either a green or red jalapeno. The mildest heat option is a green jalapeno throwing out all the seeds. The hottest heat option is a red jalapeno using all of the seeds. You can decide what best suits you or anywhere in between.
Red Onion. Simple enough. If you do not like red onion, green onion works well here too.
Cilantro. I do not like a lot of cilantro so I don’t use much here but you are more than welcome to add as much as you like. You could also try it with parsley.
Lime Juice. Fresh limes or from bottled lime juice–whatever is most convenient for you.
Salt & Pepper. I do not use a lot of salt in this recipe. After it refrigerates for a couple hours to let the flavors marry, taste again to see if it needs more. I think the lime juice helps to not need as much.
How to put your Corn & Tomato Salsa together…
1. Prep : If using frozen corn, defrost overnight or the day of. Chop tomato, finely dice red onion, jalapeno and cilantro. Juice lime & set aside salt and pepper.
2. Combine all of your ingredients, preferably in a bowl with a lid to store in the refrigerator.
3. Mix well.
4. Cover; refrigerate for at least an hour to marry flavors. If needed, you can serve immediately.
What can you serve your Corn & Tomato Salsa with?
- Mexican Bowl. Fill your bowl with chopped Romaine lettuce. Top with Corn & Tomato Salsa, Refried Beans, Rice, Guacamole & Tangy Lime Sour Cream. (WFPB approved. Maximum Weight Loss omit Guac & Sour Cream)
- On top of a Taco Pizza.
- Inside my favorite Sweet & Spicy Enchiladas.
- Tortilla Chip Dip
- In a Taco with the Vegan Taco Meat from the Taco Pizza recipe above, Lettuce and Guacamole or Sour Cream.
Corn & Tomato SalsaCourse: Main Dish, SnackCuisine: MexicanDifficulty: Easy
A great Mexican Bowl topping or filling for a Burrito; sweet corn, cherry tomatoes, jalapeno, red onion, cilantro and lime juice.
frozen sweet corn, kernels, 2.5 cups (16oz bag) defrosted
cherry tomatoes, 1 cup quartered (slice in a cross)
jalapeno, 1/4 cup finely diced (1-2 jalapenos)
red onion, 1/2 cup finely diced
cilantro, 1/4 cup chopped
lime juice, 1 1/2-2 tbsp (1-2 limes)
salt, 1/4 tsp
black pepper, 1/4 tsp
- If using frozen corn, defrost overnight or the day of. Chop tomato, finely dice red onion, jalapeno and cilantro. Juice lime & set aside salt and pepper.
- Combine all of your ingredients, preferably in a bowl with a lid to store in the refrigerator.
- Mix well.
- Cover; refrigerate for at least an hour to marry flavors. If needed, you can serve immediately.
- In this recipe, I use frozen kernels. I like white corn but either white, yellow, a mix or even roasted are good. Obviously fresh is best but canned or like I’ve used, frozen defrosted works well.
- You can use any tomato. Choose your favorite. It’s the amount diced that matters most.
- Add any extras like bell pepper, beans or avocado. Use this as is or as a base and make it your own!